Thursday, February 16, 2012

How Much Would It Cost / What Do I Need To Put The New Chevy 572 Big Block Engine Into a 1970 Chevelle SS 396?

Heres the thing, Im 15 almost 16 and me and my father both have amazing love for muscle cars. Now, he thinks it woud be best if I bought a newer car for when I get my license but I can't steer away from classic hot rods, my favorite all time would be the 1970 Chevelle. My plan is to get some 70' Chevelle 396 thats manual and drive it for awhile until I get the hang of it, then put in chevys newest crate motor, the 572ci big block. Im just not sure really what I'm getting into, I will have to pay for new brakes, transmissions, exhaust, labor, etc. but I think it would be worth it in the end when I can smoke everyone in my school with their imports and what not and show them what it means to eat dust. Well, anyways, any tips on what brands to buy, how much they will cost, special ways to do things, or personal help would be much appreciated, ThanksHow Much Would It Cost / What Do I Need To Put The New Chevy 572 Big Block Engine Into a 1970 Chevelle SS 396?
I own a shop, and think if you are that into these old cars, then you should attend a college such a YOTECH, and learn everything you can about cars. You would be in the bracket of $10,000 - $12,000 to have a 572 put in a 70 Chevelle. It can be done cheaper, but if you don't have the knowledge to do things for yourself, then you are at the mercy of having it done. Having it done is expensive! A small block 383 stroker will hand it to the imports, and is far cheaper done than the 572. The 572 is more for the serious race person that has deep pockets. I have a drag car, and a drag truck, but I don't drive either on a daily basis due to the cost. I do love it when I'm out in one of my rods, and some guy in an import takes me on. OH HOW I LOVE IT!!! 90% of the time I don't even get into the four brl to beat them. I take pleasure in riding along side of them about 3/4 throttle, and then I smack the throttle to the floor, smoke the tires, and laugh at them. I don't need but 3/4 throttle to out run them, but I get great pleasure in showing them American Muscle when I smack the throttle down, and it looks like they are in reverse. This is without the bottle, and maybe someday I will run one of them where I will need the bottle. My tip to you my friend is; go to school, and get a job in the business. This way you can afford to have that 572 one day, but never forget safety comes first. Don't kill yourself trying to prove they are slow, and realize the more you know, the easier it is to show them the door.

Glad to help out, Good Luck!!!How Much Would It Cost / What Do I Need To Put The New Chevy 572 Big Block Engine Into a 1970 Chevelle SS 396?
There is nothing I could add to the answer from musiclicker...probably the best answer I have seen. Some other ideas in the mean time. You are going to have to retard the timing on your current 396 as the compression is a bit high for 92 octane. Chevrolet cut the compression ratio in 1971..Had the 71 Chevelle SS 454. Here are other less costly can complicated ideas. A 454...1971 to around 1985 or later will bolt in and NO changes. You can get a stroker crank for it and go to 496 rather easily. Keep the compression ratio to around 9-1. On of the problems with the later blocks is that the engines are designed for reverse rotation surpintine belts. Now the water pump must change. Your brackets will not bolt up to the new blocks..Now you are into custom brackets. Do this slowlly and learn how. You will be hooked for lift, but don't neglect school to be able to afford this hobby and EAT!!

Best of LuckHow Much Would It Cost / What Do I Need To Put The New Chevy 572 Big Block Engine Into a 1970 Chevelle SS 396?
Please don't ruin a classic like an SS 396. If you have to put a motor like that in a 70 chevelle, use the old 350 malibu.How Much Would It Cost / What Do I Need To Put The New Chevy 572 Big Block Engine Into a 1970 Chevelle SS 396?
You probably should get a newer car for daily transportation that gets decent mileage. When you have the time and the extra money go for an older car and build it into a high performance car. Any late 60's or early 70's GM A-bodies are good canidates. The big block should bolt right in and fit with no problem. You should up date to a high performance radiator and some good front disc brakes cause your gonna need them! I put a Global West front susupension in my Chevelle and it handles great.
  • fashion week 2011
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment